A short black comedy, centred on the macabre and mysterious events taking place at an Australian school. Illustrated by Christina Brimage.
Trade Information: PGEN
Available as: Hardback
Would you like to be able to buy this title as an eBook?
Click here to let us know
The hero of this story is a boy called Claudius Hobbs though he prefers not to publicise his first name. He and his friend Brett help Miss Klein, a supervisor at their school, to move endless cartons of toilet paper into a store room off the headmaster's study. The toilet paper, Hobbs and the little-loved wife of a former headmaster all come together in the macabre climax of this very funny story.
The illustrations by Australian artist Christina Brimage add a nice, light-hearted touch.
1. The F.A. Smith Memorial Chair
2. The secret door
3. In which I visit the sewage plant, become right-hand man to Miss Klein
and Mr. Jones, and am asked to do an errand
4. In which I visit Mrs. Effie G. Smith and hear voices
5. In which I fix dolls and become unfixed myself
6. In which I suffer nightmares and discover new clues
7. In which a lack of evidence proves a point, I meet Cocky
and F.A. Smith divines my secret
8. In which Cocky triumphs
9. The fête at which fate takes its course
10. In which I catch up on the score and plan a salvage operation
11. In which the chair is resurrected, I become a victim of poisoning
and hear Jonesy's version of the damnation of F.A. Smith
12. Ghost sitter