An interdisciplinary anthology of essays exploring the concept of liminality and its fruitful application across a wide range of contemporary subjects.
Trade Information: LPOD
Available as: Paperback (eBook edition available soon)
Specifications: 234x156mm (9.21x6.14in), 270pp
Published: February 2019
Neither Here nor There: The Many Voices of Liminality draws together the expertise, experience, and insights of a coterie of authors, all of whom relate the core concepts of liminality to their unique contexts. The experience of and inquiry into liminal phenomena have developed into a distinct discipline of study which now crosses and informs many areas of thought, including anthropology, sociology, theology, psychology, literature and education. New vistas of interdisciplinary study have opened as a result of sharing the common language and symbol system of liminality.
This anthology reflects the current resurgence of liminality and provides a critical sourcebook ideal for individual reflection, study groups, classes and seminars. From the inner workings of spiritual life to large social transformations, liminality now provides a powerful interpretive tool and effective method for spiritual direction, teaching and leadership.
Foreword / Barbara Brown Taylor
Introduction / Timothy Carson
1. Neither Here nor There / Timothy Carson
2. The Place Between / Pádraig Ó Tuama
3. Where Heaven Caresses Earth / Elena Huegel
4. Pilgrims, Thresholds, and the Camino / Kristine Culp
5. Ye Shall Be Changed / Joshua Boettiger
6. Hope in the Dark Passage / Michelle Trebilcock
7. The Two Liminalities of War / Kate Hendricks Thomas
8. Out of the Whirlwind / Jill Cameron Michel
9. Adoption and Cross-Cultural Parenting / Colleen Warner Colaner
10. Climate Change and Desert Spirituality / Timothy Robinson
11. Falling Down the Rabbit Hole / Nicole Conner
12. Intersections, Kairos, and Cyborgs / Adam Pryor
13. Inside the Russian Nesting Doll / Debra Jarvis
14. I Was in Prison and You Visited Me / Jacob Davis
15. Post-Apartheid South Africa and Ubuntu / John Eliastam
16. Gender Benders and Communitas / Dianne Dentice and Michelle Dietert
17. Three Spaces and an Excursus / Kenneth Krushel
Conclusion / Timothy Carson
Timothy Carson is a pastor, writer, and the editor of this anthology. His doctoral work focused on liminality, and he is also the author of Liminal Reality and Transformational Power: Transition, Renewal and Hope (The Lutterworth Press, 2016).
Neither Here Nor There: The Many Voices of Liminality is an informed, interesting, and unique collection on the increasingly popular subject of liminality. Its multitude of contributors – the 'many voices' of this work – come from numerous different walks of life and all have different stories to tell. Carson's edited work intriguingly weaves together the academic and the personal in this rich and diverse tapestry of all things liminal. Dr Elizabeth Parker, University of West London
This book rides the line between scholarship and poetry, memoir and psychology, anthropology and theology. And that, of course, makes its point. Easy dualisms are neat and clean: everything is day or night, right or wrong, us or them, in or out. Reality, like this book, transgresses, transcends, and includes. Timothy Carson has brought together an amazing array of diverse writers of uncommon skill to transport readers to a place they may never have been before, a space between familiar spaces and beyond the dualist mind. Brian D. McLaren, author, speaker and activist